How many times have you written down a quick note or phone number from your boss or client and then you can’t find it? The answer is too many. It can drive you crazy.
Most tax preparers have used paper Post-it Notes to leave a reminder for family, friends or even ourselves. But we know that Post-it notes can be a problem in a public accounting firm. By design they are very flimsy and easy to lose. The phone number that was given to you by your boss or client is now buried below a stack of files that you put on top it. Yes, you might find the number eventually. But you want to call that person now.
Fortunately, there is an easy online answer already installed on your computer. Microsoft added a software program to Windows 7 and 8 to let you create Post-it Notes on your desktop computer. The program is called Sticky Notes. To create a Sticky Note in Windows 7, you click Start→All Programs→Accessories→Sticky Notes. In Windows 8, you can search for Sticky Notes in the Apps section and then click on the program. Once you have a blank Sticky Note on your desktop you will not need to return to the program.
Here are some of the features of the program:
- Easy note creation. You can create as many separate notes as you want by clicking the plus symbol on the first note.
- Easy note deletion. Once you are done with a note you simply click the X in the top right corner and then click ok to confirm you want to get rid of it.
- Multiple colors. The program gives you several color options to code your notes by type of note or their urgency. Right click on the note to access the color options.
- Stacking notes. Most users do not want these notes to clutter their desktop. No problem. You can move the notes on top of each other (or anywhere on the screen) by holding down the left mouse button when you click on the top middle portion of the note.
- No time limit. The notes will stay on your computer for as long (or as short) as you want them. They will not disappear when you shut off your computer or effect your other programs.
I have found this program to be very helpful in the hectic environment of a public accounting firm during tax season. These notes are great for quick access to phone numbers and creating temporary “to do” lists. But beware that using this program is addictive. Once you start using this program, you will find yourself using it on a daily basis.
If you found these tips helpful please consider sharing this post with your friends on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Thanks.
Latest posts by Bill Meador, CPA, JD (see all)
- Learn How CPA Firms View a Gap in Your Resume - October 31, 2014
- Work in a CPA Firm Tax Department? Plan for Change. - October 20, 2014
- Accounting LIONs - September 29, 2014